Honor Your 8765

January 3, 2011

in Uncategorized

As we embark on 2011, we start on a fresh set of hours. 8765 of them. When I think about this number, I take a look back to see how I spent many of those hours last year. I spent some of that time either running, reading, writing and moving about the rooms of my life doing ordinary things.

I also spent a great deal of those hours worrying about scenarios that never came true, investing time in friendships that ultimately caused disappointment, and replaying moments in the past, analyzing what I could or should have done different. The point is I dedicated so many hours on matters that were wholly inconsequential.

The passage of time is an obsession for me. And it is disconcerting to me to realize so much of my time was squandered.

I’ve never been a resolutions girl, but I do believe in new beginnings. This year I am taking a vow to honor my hours. How about you?

Image by Aaron Geller

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Daniel January 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Love this . . .

2 rudrip January 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I loved your pics from Egypt. Looks like you had a reflective adventure.

3 Kristen @ Motherese January 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Oh, Rudri, I know just what you mean about wasting time worrying. That is probably my least favorite, but most common, hobby.

I don’t really have a New Year’s resolution, per se, but I’ll continue working on my Happiness Project, with an eye toward simplicity and realism.

Happy 2011 to you and your family, Rudri.

4 rudrip January 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

If you ever find out a way to stop the worrying, please let me know. I think your goal oriented Happiness Project will help pave the way to at least limiting how much time you dedicate toward worrying.

Thanks for the New Year wishes!

5 Kate January 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I like the idea of honoring our time. It feels more lovely then keeping our minutes useful or wasting them. I certainly hope to be thoughtful with my time.

6 rudrip January 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Kate: I found it easier to think about honoring the hours. It seems more tangible to me, rather than looking at the individual minutes. Hope this New Year brings you time that you will treasure.

7 Missy @ Wonder, Friend January 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm

That’s such a great way to look at it. I’m definitely going to honor the hours!

8 suzicate January 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I feel like I have wasted a lot of time this past year as well. “honor the hours” – I like that!

9 Christine January 3, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Honor the hours, indeed! And the moments and the minutes. So hard, but so important. I’m learning too, because my hours seemed to literally spin out of control last year. This year I refuse to let them spin, instead I hope to let them coast.

10 Amber January 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, I waste quite a chunk of time worrying.

I believe this is an amazing way to start the New Year. Honor the hours.

11 Jane January 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What a great way to look at it. Honoring the hours. I love this!

12 Stacia January 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm

All weekend I’ve been yearning to listen to that song from Rent about measuring the 525,600 minutes in a year by sunsets and cups of coffee. I really do feel a deeper appreciation for time right now, a relief at being given more days to live, really live. I earnestly hope I can remember to honor the hours after the newness of the new year has passed.

13 Elastamom January 4, 2011 at 8:39 am

Oh yes. I’m trying this as well. Honor my hours and not waste one minute.

14 Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities January 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I vow to honor my hours and I love that phrase and idea. I am a big proponent of “happier hours” and hope to have many of them in the years to come. I wonder though – if some of our hours weren’t tough and tricky, full of struggle, would the good ones be so good? Great post as always.

15 Belinda January 5, 2011 at 4:18 am

Rudri, after reading this post, i started to worry that maybe i don’t worry enough. But of course that’s just not possible because i’m a woman and a parent. So yes, i’d love to know how to eliminate worrying.

16 Kelly January 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Yes, many a wasted hour in 2010. I keep resisting the urge to set goals/resolutions, but I definitely could spend many of my hours better. I’ve never thought of it that way…