Happy Halloween

in Everyday life,Life Lessons

“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.” — Dr. Seuss

In years past, Halloween is not a holiday I typically celebrated. As a child, I visited a few houses, came home, counted out a handful of Smarties and Snickers, and changed out of my costume. In my teenage years, my mom assigned me to door duty and I handed out candy to kids dressed as bumble bees and Batman. But never once did I feel the urge to dress up, visit a haunted house, or decorate a pumpkin.

This year I don’t know what changed, but something did. October has been an ambivalent month, full of varying emotions, with an inclination toward heartbreak. I’ve talked about my penchant toward melancholy and in some ways I’ve forgotten the joy of participating in silly sheer fun. But yesterday I laughed as I donned on my costume. I slipped on my red and white striped socks, my Cat in the Hat tall hat, and a big red bow tie. My daughter pointed at me and yelled, “My Momma is the Cat in the Hat” and laughed a silly belly laugh. She laughed harder as my husband painted himself in blue grease paint, his attempt to model one of the members of the Blue Man Group.

The silliness of the moment still resonates with me. Sometimes you just need to rediscover how to have fun. I am so glad I did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 SuziCate October 31, 2011 at 4:58 am

You look so happy! So glad you had fun.
SuziCate recently posted..Not Doing the Barnyard Dance!

2 Justine October 31, 2011 at 8:41 am

You guys look awesome! What great costumes.

I didn’t start to participate in Halloween in all the years I’ve been here until my daughter came along. She brought out the silly in me too! :)
Justine recently posted..Here in America

3 Kristen @ Motherese October 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

So glad you found a way to inject some silliness into the melancholy. (I sometimes struggle with that too.) You guys look great! xo
Kristen @ Motherese recently posted..Piles

4 Kathy October 31, 2011 at 11:29 am

You and Ashish look great! Halloween has always been Dan’s favorite “holiday.” He loves to decorate the house and carve pumpkins and even put on scary/weird masks. I think its a great time to rediscover your inner child and just have fun.

5 Cathy October 31, 2011 at 11:36 am

You guys look great! I can’t recall the last time I dressed up for real.
Cathy recently posted..come visit me!

6 Windy Lynn Harris October 31, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Happy Halloween to you too, Rudri! Looking good :)

7 ayala October 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Awesome. Happy Halloween!
ayala recently posted..The Battle

8 Stacia November 1, 2011 at 12:48 am

It’s hard not to feel happy on Halloween, isn’t it? Something about the costumes and the candy and the sheer FUN of it all. Hope you didn’t make too much mischief, Cat in the Hat. =>
Stacia recently posted..The Witching Hour

9 Tiffany November 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

You are so right!! Sometimes it’s good to be silly and have fun. Love the costumes!
Tiffany recently posted..Trick or Treat

10 Nikole Hahn November 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hey, Rudri! Great costume. I didn’t dress up this year, but we handed out candy for kids and coffee and homemade cookies to adults. It was really a great time. I’m glad you had a good time.

11 Nikole Hahn November 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

We had 260 kids last night! :o)
Nikole Hahn recently posted..And Jesus asked, “Do you love me?”

12 Trish Dolasinski November 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Frank and I were Mr. and Mrs. Jack-0-Lantern! (Simple matching tees, but our grandkiddies liked it!) We visited them and enjoyed their costumes, took pictures, sent pictures and received them via i-phone from our daughter (and son-in-law who dresses up with the kids every year:)
I personally love Halloween, and appreciate the spirit of Hallows Eve. I and a few other women gave out candy in our church courtyard on Sunday — that time, I was an angel! It was fun and makes me “lighten up” in the face of very full and busy days . . .
I LOVE YOUR COSTUMES— too cool!
Trish

13 C @ Kid Things November 3, 2011 at 10:35 am

Great costumes! I have to say, I love the Blue Man Group and for a minute before I read further I was jealous that you actually got to pose with one of them. So glad you got into the spirit of things.
C @ Kid Things recently posted..The Stories We Tell Over Breakfast

14 Kelly November 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

You guys look great! I haven’t dressed up in years, but you make me want to. Sheer silliness is its own reward.
Kelly recently posted..Costume How-To: Part 4

15 Scott S November 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

AWESOME! Love Ashish as a Blue Man!